Promoting reading and literacy
Key Initiative 1.1:
Promoting reading and literacy as an essential requirement for active participation in society, through access to information in any format
Activity 1.1.1: Develop and implement a new position on literacy and reading that incorporates stronger participation and partnerships across the literacy and reading fields
We will develop a new IFLA policy position on literacy and reading, as part of a strategy developed jointly with our partners in the field.
We will develop a strategy and materials including a position statement for 8 September World Literacy Day.
We will actively raise awareness within our members and partners about the importance of universal literacy, and particularly through advocating for the incorporation of national literacy plans into Development Plans to fulfil the United Nations vision for “A world with universal literacy”, expressed in the United Nations' Transforming our World: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Global Alliance for Literacy Policy Forum (12 November 2018)
- Celebrating Books, Celebrating Access: Kuala Lumpur Announced as World Book Capital 2020 (20 September)
- International Literacy Day 2018 - Infographic (8 September)
- Libraries at the Heart of Lifelong Learning (9 July)
- Getting to Grips with Information in a Digital Age: IFLA Joins Reflections at UNESCO Conference (13 June)
- Global MIL Week is Coming! How Can You Get Involved? (30 May 2018)
- Celebrating books, and the libraries that champion them: Athens becomes World Book Capital (23 April)
- Education before Regulation: IFLA Engages at Fake News Workshop (1 March)
- Libraries, Media and Information Literacy Only Sustainable Response to Fake News (2 February)
- European Parliament Research Underlines Library Role in Media Literacy (4 January)
- Libraries Essential to Creating Informed, Independent, Information Literate Citizens (20 October)
- The Need for Libraries has Never Been Greater: IFLA Speaks at Major Information Literacy Conference (21 September)
- Realising the Potential of Digital for Development: Not Without Libraries (1 August)
- More than Wires: IFLA Highlights Role of Libraries in Providing Meaningful Internet Access at EuroDIG (9 June)
- CNN broadcasts How To Spot Fake News infographic (1 March)
- How To Spot Fake News - IFLA in the post-truth society (1 February)
- Call to Action: International Literacy Day (8 September)
- IFLA-IPA-IAF-RWF Joint Statement on Literacy and Reading For International Literacy Day (8 September)
Activity 1.1.2 Expand and promote a framework for media and information literacies
We will scope and develop a strategy that promotes the media and information literacy skills required for citizens to flourish through their utilisation of information and knowledge in any format.
Última actualización: 3 Diciembre 2018